Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Herd immunity for Coronavirus?

22_22

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$102
Winbux
$0.00
What do we think as herd immunity as a strategy for reacting to the covid-19 pandemic? Can it work for some countries but not others? Or is it absolutely pointless?

For me, it is gambling with deaths and as a result, I completely disagree with the strategy. We should be doing our utmost best to be protecting lives, not destroying them. There seems to be a lot of influence by money here and although a strong economy is needed, there should be ways to consider both without disrespecting human life.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
I am no expert in the area by no means, however I do feel that we do not know enough about the virus to return to regular life yet.

In my area, the active case numbers are very low considering the population, thus making our risk of contracting the virus equally very low. My area is currently in the midst of slowly reopening with strict guidelines, people are getting back to work, society is adjusting to the new norm. I agree with the path and direction my province has been taking in Canada, our case load continues to drop which is great to see.

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
I agree with you. There is too many deaths as it is. We should be protecting people's lives, not murdering more victims of this awful virus. I'm no expert in the medical field but this doesn't sound a very sensible theory to me. We should follow the government advice and if we all listen, the rates of people dying should reduce dramatically. Staying atleast 2 metres apart, halves your chance of catching COVID-19.

ARx182

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$192
Winbux
$0.00
Like @Hungry Ego has already mentioned, we are still very oblivious to this virus. You cannot find a solution to something that you do not even fully understand. Herd immunity would be experimenting with peoples' lives, which is what the UK government did initially, and we managed to pass Italy in cases & deaths despite begin warned and 2 weeks behind them, thanks to Boris and co.

Zakalwe

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$94
Winbux
$0.00
Herd immunity is the only way a species survives against viruses. It’s necessary and must happen, however the way governments go about it could be better.
We have heard immunity against influenza and the common cold. It’s how we’ve not been wiped out yet. Yes there’s still cases, yes there’s still deaths (more from flu than Covid-19) but the majority survive because we have developed antibodies/immunity to it.
It’s worth noting that flu and cold are also corona viruses. This new corona virus is merely the latest version of one of the most efficient killers in history.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$772
Winbux
$0.00
All they can do is vaccinate and vaccinate some more. It'll eventually burn itself out as more people become immune to it.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Like mentioned before, herd immunity was something that the UK was trying to achieve at the start of the pandemic but it was clear it wasn't going to work and we scrapped that pretty quickly. The fact that we were willing to gamble with peoples lives was not great at all.