Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

How do you keep your internet life secure?

Shole

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,642
Winbux
$0.00
Do you use VPN? What anti virus software do you use? What else do you do to secure your PC or laptop or whatever device you access the internet with?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
I think being a smart Internet user and not doing anything too stupid or illegal go a long way towards keeping your activities private. However, the bottom line is: nothing we really do online is truly anonymous and/or secure. If someone really wants to find you they will.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Do you use VPN?
Regarding VPNs: VPNs can't magically encrypt your traffic - it's simply not technically possible. If the endpoint expects plaintext, there is nothing you can do about that. When using a VPN, the only encrypted part of the connection is from you to the VPN provider. And remember, the VPN provider can see and mess with all your traffic.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
No VPN for me. Nothing I do is important enough for me to use one although we do have to use one on our work devices. I just have an anti-virus software on my laptop and try not to click on any dodgy links

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
My top 4 would be these:

1. -don't allow physical access to your machine (keep it in eyesight, use bios passwords to prevent booting off alternative media, put passwords on user accounts and lock your screen whenever you're not using the machine)
  2. -reduce your attack surface; don't install things you don't need, disable unnecessary services
  3. -install updates and patches (especially for operating systems, browsers and browser plugins)
  4. -exercise safe computing habits (don't go on dodgy sides of the internet, don't trust anything from the net, use reasonable passwords, don't plug in flash drives you find in the parking lot...)

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$772
Winbux
$0.00
I use a several ad blockers and Comodo Security. I don't care to use a VPN.