Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Materialism vs Minimalism?

Naiwen

Hubber Wall of Fame
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
disneylandlove.proboards.com
Hubux
$3,764
Winbux
$0.00
In the modern era filled with materialism and capitalism, I find joy in being frugal in spending and all things material. Why because I think being truly happy every moment of your life is the best thing that's ever happened to me personally. Enjoying life and health alone is my joy and happiness in life, because what's material possession once you're gone? Please discuss thanks.

Last edited:

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Whilst I agree, I don't have a problem with anyone being materialistic. Hell, it would be highly hypocritical of me to think otherwise considering how much I love my branded clothes and expensive things.

Whilst I agree with your point, I think for some people, spending their money on things makes them happy. I mean, what's the point of saving money if you're going to die without enjoying it.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Last year sometime I remember someone making a statement about how minimalist care about what they own a lot. Most people just don't care enough. This could make us materialistic sure, but I'd rather care a lot more about the few things I have then have so many things I care nothing for. It stuck with me. I wish I knew who said it.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
My hubby and I spend money to a certain extent. There's money we have set aside but that's for emergencies. Something will break at some point and we like having money on had for things like that.

ZandraJoi

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Website
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
Hubux
$1,990
Winbux
$0.00
I agree with you. While I have 'stuff', many of the things I have is from when I was a kid myself or passed down as heirlooms. We are debt-free & that is a great feeling. It helps that we are frugal with living. We spend time not money on our loved ones.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
My hubby and I spend money to a certain extent. There's money we have set aside but that's for emergencies. Something will break at some point and we like having money on had for things like that.
Having an emergency fund is always a great idea because you never know when something might go wrong. It's always awful to look at all that money though and know you can't spend it unless it's an emergency :crying-man:

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Yeah, I like buying expensive things that I like from time to time. As long as you can afford it, there's nothing wrong with splashing out on stuff whenever you get the chance.

What's the point in saving money if you die before getting to enjoy it?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Not sure where I fall in this aspect as I'd rather spend my money on experiences rather than possessions. :unsure:

MrDawn

Cam's Bestie
Reaction score
Hubux
$733
Winbux
$0.00
What's the point in saving money if you die before getting to enjoy it?

Same. Saving money is one thing. But living like these people is a whole other level. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't.

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
As long as you have the funds to pay your bills and pay for your necessities it's fine to splurge here and there when you have extra cash. Life is too short afterall!

Kyng

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,256
Winbux
$0.00
I'm somewhere in the middle: I don't do much day-to-day spending, but I'm happy to treat myself every now and then.

If I saved too much, I'd become bored at the lack of treats. If I spent too much, I'd become bored because none of the treats would stand out.

ZandraJoi

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Website
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
Hubux
$1,990
Winbux
$0.00
I grew up Dutch & we are known to be penny-pinchers. I love being frugal. While we do splurge on occasion, it’s mostly on our health i.e. organic food. I do have “stuff”, but many of those things are from when I was a kid. I also have heirlooms I treasure. It literally paid off as we are debt-free. We spend time not money on our loved ones.