Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Social Media Censorship

MrDawn

Cam's Bestie
Reaction score
Hubux
$734
Winbux
$0.00
  • Do you feel that it's okay for social media giants like Facebook to silence and shut down people's Facebook pages over what they say?
  • Whether that person is right or wrong in their opinion?
  • Do you feel that they're violating American's first amendment rights?

Merciless

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hubux
$657
Winbux
$0.00
I don’t just feel they’re violating your first amendment rights, I feel they’re violating the world.

We are all entitled to an opinion wrong or right it’s our opinion and we are entitled to it. Facebook and other big social media sites should be shut down for silencing the world, the internet is there to give everyone a voice and they’re stripping it away bit by bit.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
They are violating the first amendment. The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise. It protects freedom of speech, the press, assembly, and the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Everyone has a right to an opinion and any social media platform that restricts it is not a place I'd want any part of.

Zap

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
forumdb.net
Hubux
$1,384
Winbux
$0.00
I don't usually take the corporation's side in cases like this, and in no way do I have knowledge about the US constitution since I'm not American, but is not protection from violations of freedom of speech limited to public spheres? One could say that social media platforms in fact are public spheres, but then again, the servers all of Facebook's data is stored on are private property. Are Facebook obliged to keep anything on those servers? Should they not be able to delete anything they'd like?

It should be mentioned that I in general think Facebook is a horrible company and that social media companies are taking too little social responsibility. I'm only questioning whether they necessarily are violating freedom of speech.