Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Abuse of power

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
Sometimes when someone is promoted to a moderator or an administrator. They do a good job for a time. And then it seems like they get too close to it. Before you know it they're doing what they want. Banning members, taking away member privileges, and running off your community.

At what point do you feel that you have to demote them and end their term as admin / mod? Do you believe staff members should be switched out or retired eventually? That eventually they may use their special privileges to inflict their will on other members?

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
I remember I joined one forum for a reason, the owner's gf was a mod on the site and was mean to most people or rude in replies. I advised to straighten it out or let her go but the owner ignored me.

Guess what closed in a few months due to it being dead? :p

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
I remember I joined one forum for a reason, the owner's gf was a mod on the site and was mean to most people or rude in replies. I advised to straighten it out or let her go but the owner ignored me.

Guess what closed in a few months due to it being dead? :p
There's that problem especially on corporate websites that have forums and communities that are over policed. The Bethesda forum had a lot of moderators that lock up threads and delete posts for whatever reasons. I felt that was censorship.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
We tend to be pretty relaxed over here so I guess there is less chance of this happening here especially with such an amazing moderator alongside me (@Terminated). If a staff member tried this on my forum, I would give them a warning, and if they did it again, they would be back as a regular member, to be honest.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,421
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I had a staffer who decided to take things into his own hands when he got mad at a member. I called him out on it and told him that wasn't part of our protocol. He got mad at me and quit. I wish he would have at least taken personal responsibility and admit that he acted hastily out of anger.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
I had a staffer who decided to take things into his own hands when he got mad at a member. I called him out on it and told him that wasn't part of our protocol. He got mad at me and quit. I wish he would have at least taken personal responsibility and admit that he acted hastily out of anger.

What did he do to the member?

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
I have seen abuse of powers in my time, people or staff and also owners dislike each person or whatever and also disrespecting and so they abuse of there power for hating others over it. At times it's wrong and it is wrong.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I have seen this before. I won't hang around a community if this happens.

In my own community, I will have a sit down with the person and talk to them. If they are indeed abusing their power, I will let them cool off for a time. Not ban them from the community but let them take a vacation from being staff. Some people can mature as they grow older but not everyone does.