Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Are frameworks considered "cheating"?

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
A lot of people tend to use frameworks like Bootstrap for their frontend as it allows them to build a site with the basics already taken care of. But would you consider using such a framework as "cheating" if you're a web developer?

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
It's not cheating, it's using something that is tried and tested as a foundation instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with every project.

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
As well if the framework is well maintained then it means you are far more likely to be keeping up with best practices right from the start.

Uncrowned Guard

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
uncrownedempire.com
Hubux
$957
Winbux
$0.00
I'd have to say that the internet and the expectation of its users have grown too much to focus on building from the ground up. Just the work to get all the basic social and loading tools in place would be more coding than building an entire website a few years ago. Sure, it is still great to build from nothing and does allow more control, but beyond large corporate teams, I personally find a framework makes a lot of sense anymore so the coder can focus on making the project special and not spend all their time making it up to standards.

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
Even a lot of big corporates will use frameworks like Laravel or Symphony in projects instead of doing everything form scratch.

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
Well, the basics of computer programming are covered when you use a language. Is that cheating? The basics of a computer language are 0s and 1s put together somehow by somebody.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Nope. Not cheating at all. I used to have this mentality too. I thought, "if I don't make it myself, am I a real pRoGrAmEr?" The truth is, don't re-invent the wheel. If a framework fits your needs and it's already been made, use it.

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
Also if you feel like using a framework is cheating then you can always pick an open source framework and contribute code back to it.

apathy

Moving truck is scheduled!
Reaction score
Website
fortreeforums.xyz
Hubux
$1,866
Winbux
$0.00
I can see why one might think this but nah, it's not really cheating, and even Xenforo comes bundled with some third party libraries like Chartist & Lightslider.

The real problem with these libraries is when developers choose to included super bloated variants that are way more than necessary for what they want to accomplish.