Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

At what age should someone be able to get married?

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,062
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I think it's at least a 21+ decision, honestly. Kids getting married at young ages CAN work, for some, but it's so, so rare and it's such a huge life decision that shouldn't be made lightly.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,413
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I believe getting married too young is a mistake, but if they want to get married, they should be economically independent.
I would say no less than 25 years old I guess...

I was 23 and my husband was 24 when we got married. We were financially thriving, bought a house and brand new cars for ourselves, so we were ready. I'm not saying we didn't go through any difficult times in the marriage, because there is no such thing as a fairy tale wedding. We also knew each other since we were teenagers and dated 6 years prior. Waiting til 25 would have been torture for me because I wanted out of my parent's house LOL I'm a Christian and wasn't about to move in with my boyfriend, so marriage made sense for us.

Mike30

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Website
forumrace.com
Hubux
$1,004
Winbux
$0.00
I was 23 and my husband was 24 when we got married. We were financially thriving, bought a house and brand new cars for ourselves, so we were ready. I'm not saying we didn't go through any difficult times in the marriage, because there is no such thing as a fairy tale wedding. We also knew each other since we were teenagers and dated 6 years prior. Waiting til 25 would have been torture for me because I wanted out of my parent's house LOL I'm a Christian and wasn't about to move in with my boyfriend, so marriage made sense for us.
Every case is just different. When I see teens that they haven't even finished high school and they are thinking already to get married(maybe as a way to escape from parents/restrictions/responsibilities)
I got married when I was 20. I had already a successful business and bought my first house at 20 years old, But when I meditate, I would not get married that young if I had to do it again.

Last edited:

MYC

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1
Winbux
$0.00
In Hong Kong, the minimum legal age for marriage is 16. I personally think it's too young to get married at 16.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$772
Winbux
$0.00
In the US, each state has a different legal age for marrying, but at what age do you think it should be?
18 for sure yeah. But age isn't everything. Some people are too immature to comprehend how a relationship should work. I don't believe being selfish in a relationship / marriage is going to get very far.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,413
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
18 for sure yeah. But age isn't everything. Some people are too immature to comprehend how a relationship should work. I don't believe being selfish in a relationship / marriage is going to get very far.

I wanted to get married far before I did, but looking back, I was too immature and didn't understand about bills, taxes, insurance, to know how to "live" as a married person. I got married at 23 and that was probably too young as well, but we got through it.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$772
Winbux
$0.00
I wanted to get married far before I did, but looking back, I was too immature and didn't understand about bills, taxes, insurance, to know how to "live" as a married person. I got married at 23 and that was probably too young as well, but we got through it.
I really wish I had held off on getting married back when I was 22. Me and my ex wife had gotten married within 7 months and that was way too soon. If I could go back in time, I would not have done it nor would I have stayed with her. I know back then when she kept pushing for me to marry her, I didn't really want to do it. I married for all of the wrong reasons. I didn't want to be alone.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,413
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I really wish I had held off on getting married back when I was 22. Me and my ex wife had gotten married within 7 months and that was way too soon. If I could go back in time, I would not have done it nor would I have stayed with her. I know back then when she kept pushing for me to marry her, I didn't really want to do it. I married for all of the wrong reasons. I didn't want to be alone.

I think a lot of us feel that we don't want to be alone and that marriage cures that. I also think that if I hadn't gotten married young, that I probably wouldn't have matured as much as I did.