Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Building your own desktop

22_22

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$102
Winbux
$0.00
How many people have tried to build their own desktop?

I most recently found a guide here https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-build-a-pc/ and it seems like the best thing to do is it build one yourself. Although this can be pretty time consuming but mostly expensive! I wonder what stories and experiences the people of this forum have towards doing this?

Funkel

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Website
www.minecom.org
Hubux
$1,388
Winbux
$0.00
I build my Own Machine I am currently on. It was my first build and I watched some Guides how to build it and also crawled the Web 3Month to get the best for that time.

Funkel

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Website
www.minecom.org
Hubux
$1,388
Winbux
$0.00
Build my own here also, twice in fact. and also did old desktops. Simple fun and easy if you done it so many times like myself LOL

I mean you can do very little wrong if you have already looked at 1-2 guides. But I would definitely advise beginners to think about cable management.

Jordan

Tech Support
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,371
Winbux
$0.00
Building a desktop is usually cheaper in most cases. My current build is not by me, I got it for a deal though.

It's a liquid-cooled Alienware, an i7, and a 1080 for only $400!

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Cable management is always the hardest, I know where they go is making the cable management nice and clean and when building to have no cables showing. Smaller the case the harder it is is to get your damn hands in the small case

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
Building a desktop is usually cheaper than buying one. I lack the knowledge and skill to undergo such a task. It seems like a large number of people here are confident on how to build a PC, are there any free online learning resources that someone could recommend for me?

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$438
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
100000% build your own rig.
Never trust pre-builds. There are lots of people in youtube that teach you how to do it from scratch. All you need is a screwdriver.

As for Cable Management, your Case comes with these little guys:
1597088905912.png

i built my PC after 8 years and it's still the same. Just be sure that your PSU is certified at least Bronze to make sure your components get enough and stable voltage.

If you still need some assistance, i can help you out.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Built the PC i'm using at the moment, that was about 5 years ago so almost time for a new one.
My board, CPU, and ram is 10 years old :p

Other things are newer, Like Power block, CPU cooler and GPU

Cable management is harder if you like cleanness and the case is small

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$438
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
My board, CPU, and ram is 10 years old :p

Other things are newer, Like Power block, CPU cooler and GPU

Cable management is harder if you like cleanness and the case is small

Yeah, most OS systems work well with old hardware as long as the manufacturer still updates its drivers.

I owned a Corsair Dominator for more than 10 years. Switched them to an Vengeance Pro (up to 3200) and i'm more than happy with them.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$438
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
DDR3 still works fine for casual computing. Not so much when it comes to a graphic demanding processes like rendering or gaming. Most games can still be played like CS:GO, Fortnite (with low resolution) or even games like Doom Eternal.

if all you do is browsing.. you can go with it just fine :D

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
I would love to do this. However, my setup and living space doesn't allow for me to do such a thing, so I'm stuck with high performance gaming laptops that are 'just as powerful' as a desktop, i mean obviously the desktop is the better choice, but I make due with what I can.