Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Do you like math?

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
I love it and was pursing an associate's degree in it. Anyway, advanced math is all about procedure. You have to go over the procedure over and over. For instance, let's say you wanted to use Calculus to calculate the area of a disc. First of all, you would need to know all the background algebra and then be fairly competent at Calculus, but that's just the start.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Maths, the way I see them are "a game where you choose the starting rules and then try to prove as many new facts as possible from there", that is lovely.

This is a quote from Matt Parker

Ashlynn S

Has big shoes to fill
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,683
Winbux
$0.00
I've just spent a few seconds quite amusing myself by seeing what happens if you switch the word 'math' with 'meth' in all of the above sentences.

Surprisingly, apart from the bit about calculus, they mostly make sense.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,417
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I used to love math and was really good at it.

But then I got pregnant with my daughter in my 20s and couldn't think in terms of math anymore. I am lucky if I can make change! I don't know what happened because math was easy for me.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
I've just spent a few seconds quite amusing myself by seeing what happens if you switch the word 'math' with 'meth' in all of the above sentences.
How right you are. :ROFLMAO:

How about you, do you like meth math?

altair

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$926
Winbux
$0.00
Maths, the way I see them are "a game where you choose the starting rules and then try to prove as many new facts as possible from there", that is lovely.

This is a quote from Matt Parker
Never heard that quote before. That is a lovely quote and describes math perfectly. You are inventing ways to help yourself solve the equation.
I like math a little bit as a kid. That did not last very long and disliked it for years. Until I took Algebra in community college with a professor. He made math interesting and fun. You could use notes for the exam so you could focus on understanding rather than memorizing. He cared about his students and his students understanding. There was never a math teacher quite like him. I enjoyed Calculus because of this (only took Calculus one).

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
It wasn't my best subject. Especially Algebra and Geometry, It became a constant struggle in high school.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
He made math interesting and fun. You could use notes for the exam so you could focus on understanding rather than memorizing. He cared about his students and his students understanding.
Schools need more teachers like him. If you make learning interesting and fun then students are going to want to learn. Hats off to him.

MYC

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1
Winbux
$0.00
Not really, I'm not good at it. I got very poor marks in this subject at school.