Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Do you trust yard sales and online markets like Amazon to buy consoles etc.?

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
How much do you check out things? Have you ever wanted a refund? What is a good deal you got?

Note: I mean yard sales and consignment shops.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,483
Winbux
$0.00
I will never buy a used console, god knows what may have happened to it or what could have crawled into it.

I rather stick to local stores to buy, but with the recent market I may have to go online.
On eBay, you can just go by the seller’s ratings, so obviously the higher the better. Then there’s PayPal for refunds.

The consoles themselves also aren’t that hard to open, so you can bring them outside with a can of compressed air.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
I will never buy a used console, god knows what may have happened to it or what could have crawled into it.

Same. I've had issues with used consoles in the past that I got from Game Stop. I'm not making that mistake again. I bought my XBOX Series S off of Amazon brand new.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I wouldn't bother with a used console either because I like to have new tech, no matter what it is. The only time I would is if I went for a PSP because there doesn't seem to be a way to buy one brand new at a decent price.

I did buy my PS5 from Amazon but it was brand new and sold by them.

Elseb

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,150
Winbux
$0.00
If you know what you're doing and check feedback etc, ebay is generally alright. I probably wouldn't ever buy a used current generation console as I'd rather just buy a new one. I buy older consoles all the time though, especially if they've been refurbished and modded. Picked up a SEGA Nomad the other week with a new screen, looks and plays incredibly well!

altair

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$926
Winbux
$0.00
I have bought a couple retro consoles before at garage sales. They have worked perfectly and saved a bunch of money on it buying it from a store or another person. I guess I have had luck in that department then.
I I buy older consoles all the time though, especially if they've been refurbished and modded. Picked up a SEGA Nomad the other week with a new screen, looks and plays incredibly well!

Fun console. Have fun!

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,064
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I used to buy from garage sales all the time, but haven't been since covid. There's nothing wrong with the consoles most of the time, and the older ones are usually easy to fix anyway, so I don't hesitate to pick up from them. Usually good prices, too.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I think you always take a risk when buying from garage sales. From what I understand all sales are pretty much final when it comes to garage sale purchases.

Oblivion Knight

Eat. Sleep. Game. Repeat.
Reaction score
Website
umbrella-online.co.uk
Hubux
$1,980
Winbux
$1.00
I've picked up a few consoles second-hand from the likes of eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Shpock.. No issues so far!

PlayStation (original) - I still had my original PSone (slim), but wanted to dabble with the PSIO which isn't compatible with the newer model. The condition wasn't too shabby given it's age!

PS2 Slim - Months before I'd sold my original PS2 having re-purchased the "remasters" for the majority of games. Trouble is, for many of them you can't beat the original experience on the original hardware. Looks to be nearly new.

PS3 Super Slim - I was just transitioning from Xbox to PlayStation at the time, and having owned a PS3 previously which sat collecting dust, wasn't sure how well I'd adapt. It made sense to spend less on a used console.. One of the rubber feet are missing underneath, but that's about it..

PSP - I'd originally planned on buying a few of these, modding them and selling them.. The screen has a few marks, but I'm not sure if they were there before or after I'd purchased it.

PS Vita - Probably my worst purchase of the bunch.. It's an original OLED, but there's a fair bit of superficial damage to the console surround itself. The screen is fine, and everything plays ok though.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I've only ever bought one console used. I bought a PS4 that use to belong to a friend of my husband. All my other consoles I've bought brand new from a store (or they were were bought brand new from a store when they were gifted from me).

Cherry123

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$0
Winbux
$0.00
i will provided their return policy is favourable to me. I don't want to stuck with what I can't use and can't also return