Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Future Handhelds

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Do you think we will get some handhelds from the likes of Microsoft and Sony? Or do you think it will only be Nintendo that focuses on them?

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Sony tried with the PS Vita - I personally never got my hands on one though.

Smart move of Nintendo for sticking to handheld video games.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,490
Winbux
$0.00
Sony tried with the PS Vita - I personally never got my hands on one though.

Smart move of Nintendo for sticking to handheld video games.
The PSP and Vita were pretty neat handhelds. Too bad Sony screwed up the marketing on the Vita, which ended up causing a negative feedback loop for it.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
There is no reason for two different devices, the Switch has proven all in works without a doubt. So if we do get more handhelds, I hope it's connected to a main console.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Think about it.

Sony tried to enter the market with the PSP. That system succeeded, to a degree. But the Nintendo DS still sold the better of the two.

Then next gen, their next system, the Vita, was brutally outfought by the Nintendo 3DS.

Now the Nintendo Switch has a de facto monopoly in the handheld market.

Yet another factor to consider: Microsoft tried to penetrate the mobile market, with their Windows Phones. That product line, fell flat. It just couldn’t compete with the existing iOS and Android ecosystem.

Two lessons, one learned the hard way and one thru observation of the competition, that indicate that Microsoft should not pursue a handheld console. Microsoft should stick to their strong suit (if you can even call it that,) the PC world.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,490
Winbux
$0.00
Yet another factor to consider: Microsoft tried to penetrate the mobile market, with their Windows Phones. That product line, fell flat. It just couldn’t compete with the existing iOS and Android ecosystem.
What I thought was really pathetic with Microsoft making phones, was that they made Windows phones for several years before the first iPhone came out. First they got beat by Blackberry, then they got beat by Apple and Google. So Windows Phones really just died a ridiculously slow death.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
Sony has actually tried a couple of times with the PSP and then the Vita. I don't know how well they did but I haven't seen Sony do any more handhelds.

Microsoft never got into the handheld thing. They didn't even try.

Nintendo has kind of always been the unspoken king when it comes to handhelds. They had the GameBoy Original then they had the GameBoy Color, Gameboy Advance, GameBoy SP, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS 3D.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Sorry, should have clarified that I meant future handhelds. The PSP and the PS Vita were both great although the Vita seems to have been underappreciated. Makes me feel that Sony might be reluctant to try again although hopefully they see the success of the Switch and try once more.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Think about it.

Sony tried to enter the market with the PSP. That system succeeded, to a degree. But the Nintendo DS still sold the better of the two.

Then next gen, their next system, the Vita, was brutally outfought by the Nintendo 3DS.

Now the Nintendo Switch has a de facto monopoly in the handheld market.

Two lessons, one learned the hard way and one thru observation of the competition, that indicate that Microsoft should not pursue a handheld console. Microsoft should stick to their strong suit (if you can even call it that,) the PC world.

I really wanted to like the Microsoft phone but you're right they just didn't have the expertise to roll with Android or Apple.

Elseb

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,150
Winbux
$0.00
I absolutely hated Windows Phones, they were shockingggg. We used to have to test using them in my job and it was such a chore.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,490
Winbux
$0.00
I really wanted to like the Microsoft phone but you're right they just didn't have the expertise to roll with Android or Apple.
A lot of it was truancy. There’s a video of their CEO laughing at the iPhone and not seeing it as a threat.

Oof

It wasn’t until after Android has been out until Microsoft revamped the Windows Mobile line. It’s rare in the tech world when a latecomer is very successful.

Elseb

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,150
Winbux
$0.00
A lot of it was truancy. There’s a video of their CEO laughing at the iPhone and not seeing it as a threat.

Oof

It wasn’t until after Android has been out until Microsoft revamped the Windows Mobile line. It’s rare in the tech world when a latecomer is very successful.

That's an amazing video hahaha

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
Honestly I think the only handhelds we'll have are the Steamdeck and the Switch. I don't see Sony going down that route again, the PSP was successful, but the Vita was totally dominated by the 3DS. I never see Microsoft ever making a handheld, their architecture was built upon Direct X to begin with, plus now with Game Pass being accessible via windows PCS, you could theoretically play certain games on your laptop and even your phone. Nintendo will always dominate this market, and honestly with how successful the Switch is I don't see them ending support on this platform. And since the Switch is a handheld console hybrid, there's no reason for Nintendo to make another pure handheld anymore.