Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Is marriage a thing of the past?

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$775
Winbux
$0.00
How come marriages just don't last in this day and age anymore? Is everyone off cheating and screwing around on their spouse or just have no tolerance?

My grandparents have been married for 65 years. I wanted that with my spouse. Until she decided she was tired of me and decided she'd go out and f*** around. If 90% of people in marriage aren't going to take marriage seriously or stay married then what's the point in the government giving that option? If people want to get married, have them run off into the woods together and get married by a priest or something. If the marriage doesn't work, then they can part ways and the government doesn't have to get involved. Divorce court ends up screwing over the wrong spouse anyway and marital rights are abused nation wide. It'd save everyone the trouble.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$439
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
We constantly change as a human being or members of a society, sometimes the act of "marrying" is something that we impose ourselves as the next goal of a relationship, the "final act" of commitment. The marriage that builds with love and no social pressure would tend to last forever i think.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$775
Winbux
$0.00
These kind of things make bachelors like me shiver and think twice, but now i am going to get married next year and i don't know how it is going to be.

Going into marriage for the first time, you should go into it prepared with the possibility of divorce. Don't ever tell yourself that your fiancé and future wife will never cheat on you. They can and they will at the drop of a hat. Don't go into it thinking she won't leave you even if you have kids. Marriages and relationships walk an extremely thin line and can end at any time. Once you accept that, you're fine. Remember, this isn't the 1800's and 1900's where you got married and stayed married. With today's society, marriage isn't taken seriously at all. Things can go bad real quick.

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy.
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,268
Winbux
$0.10
I don't see either me or my wife splitting up anytime soon. Lately we've been getting closer and our bond is getting stronger. I think some of the problem is people are getting married too young. For example I know this guy who got married at 18. That marriage didn't last long at all, plus his ex ended up getting married to one of her cousins after they got a divorce. :oops:

Jason

Troubleshooter
Reaction score
Website
webmasterchill.com
Hubux
$218
Winbux
$0.00
Going into marriage for the first time, you should go into it prepared with the possibility of divorce. Don't ever tell yourself that your fiancé and future wife will never cheat on you. They can and they will at the drop of a hat. Don't go into it thinking she won't leave you even if you have kids. Marriages and relationships walk an extremely thin line and can end at any time. Once you accept that, you're fine. Remember, this isn't the 1800's and 1900's where you got married and stayed married. With today's society, marriage isn't taken seriously at all. Things can go bad real quick.
With anything can happen mindset let me take the next step and see how it goes.

JoyFreak

Gaming
Reaction score
Website
www.joyfreak.com
Hubux
$1,283
Winbux
$0.00
I don't see either me or my wife splitting up anytime soon. Lately we've been getting closer and our bond is getting stronger. I think some of the problem is people are getting married too young. For example I know this guy who got married at 18. That marriage didn't last long at all, plus his ex ended up getting married to one of her cousins after they got a divorce. :oops:
Exactly, no one needs a ring to proof "commitment".. Having believe and trust in another should see you through a life time of commitment!

cryptonomica

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$663
Winbux
$0.00
Marriages stayed forever Back Then because women didn't have rights or property or the ability to take care of themselves outside of being with a man.
Now, women can legally have their own bank accounts and jobs.
Not to mention the increase of support for abuse survivors (men And women,) and supporting them leaving their abusive partners.
People are still getting married, its just that marriage isn't the perfection its made out to be and people are realizing its ok to leave if your not happy.

Kyng

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,256
Winbux
$0.00
Wow, I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this :'( .

But, in answer to the question... I certainly don't think marriage (in the life-long, 'till death do us part' sense) is a thing of the part. There are plenty of successful, dramaless marriages, but we never hear about them, because the divorces grab all the attention.

Anyway, I do hope your next marriage (if you choose to have another one) proves more successful :) .

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Marriages stayed forever Back Then because women didn't have rights or property or the ability to take care of themselves outside of being with a man.
Now, women can legally have their own bank accounts and jobs.
Not to mention the increase of support for abuse survivors (men And women,) and supporting them leaving their abusive partners.
People are still getting married, its just that marriage isn't the perfection its made out to be and people are realizing its ok to leave if your not happy.

is the first sign to leave if the bride ends up being a bridzilla? :p

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$775
Winbux
$0.00
With anything can happen mindset let me take the next step and see how it goes.

Pretty much. Relationships are based on taking a risk. You're either all the way in or you're all the way out. There is no in between. There are no guarantees in any relationship. You have no choice but to go on faith that she will stay loyal and faithful to you. If you get shafted, then you know you tried everything on your end of the relationship. It isn't your fault if she betrays and leaves you. That is completely out of your hands whether she stays with you or leaves you later on down the road.

Last edited by a moderator: