Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Most lucrative sports in the world?

Heatman

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$952
Winbux
$0.00
There are so many sports in the world today that I personally don't know them all. Which one do you think is the most lucrative where athletes make millions of dollars for just being involved in the sports?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Basketball ranks first in the list of highest-paying sports in the world.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Football in Europe sure pays a lot. But for superstars i'd say the NBA by far.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,071
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
Yeah, it's got to be basketball, and I wouldn't be surprised if baseball, proper football and even formula 1 was in the mix somewhere.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
Check out the 10 Highest Paid Sports in the World in 2022
  • BasketBall. Basketball ranks first in the list of highest-paying sports in the world. ...
  • Boxing. Boxing is one of the oldest sports on planet earth which was first played more than 2700 years ago in 688 BC. ...
  • Football. ...
  • Golf. ...
  • Soccer. ...
  • Tennis. ...
  • Ice Hockey. ...
  • Baseball.
More items...

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I don't like when Americans call SOCCER to a sport that has been named FOOTBALL originally just to make a difference between their "football" sport that you barely use your feet to actually interact with the "ball".

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,071
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I don't like when Americans call SOCCER to a sport that has been named FOOTBALL originally just to make a difference between their "football" sport that you barely use your feet to actually interact with the "ball".
I'm afraid it's we Brits that are to blame for that. Originally there were multiple sports referred to as football, with the two main ones being Association Football (what the world knows as Football/Futbol) and Rugby Football. To differentiate the two, Association Football became colloquially known as Soc Football, shorthand for Association, and then Soccer. Rugby Football eventually just became known as Rugby, and so almost as quickly as it was adopted, Soccer was abolished in favour of it's more popular name, football. Sadly, countries that have their own forms of football kept the soccer name, the US of course being chief among them, but even the Aussies use soccer to differentiate it from Aussie Rules football (amazing sport!), the national football team are even referred to as the Soccerroos. It's unfortunate the name lingers, because it's really unpalatable, but...c'est la vie.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
Obviously football is more popular than the american variant. That's my original let's say "problem".

Even though when i was a kid i liked the term "soccer" thanks to a EA Sport's videogame.. i don't now.. lol .