Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Paying for computer repair

Shortie

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,222
Winbux
$0.00
For any computer repairs I used to go to my dad and he would be able to fix it. I learned a lot from my dad which comes in handy now he is unable to do things like he used to be able to.

If I am unable to fix something myself not, I tend to look at how much it would cost to repair and if it seems better money wise I will have someone fix it, if not and it's better to get a new computer I go that route.

Cory

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$78
Winbux
$0.00
I don't believe I ever paid someone to fix my computer, I've always somehow managed to fix it myself or just buy a new one. My gaming laptop had the Black Screen of Death and it seemed expensive to try and get it repaired or even a diagnostic on it, so I just ended up getting a new computer. Thankfully, it was on sale for rather cheap and although it wasn't a gaming laptop again, it has suited my needs thus far.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,064
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
I always try to fix my own computer, and of course the family computers, too. I haven't had to pay for a long time for repairs, but the prices are usually a bit of a ripoff for anything that's wrong.

Cam

The Chosen One
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
forumpromotion.net
Hubux
$868
Winbux
$81.00
I Am The Danger!
I've never paid anyone to repair my computer. I've typically just bought a new computer whenever it's needed.

I've actually got a custom built desktop that I need to get fixed. It has issues staying connected to the monitor.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,483
Winbux
$0.00
I've never paid anyone to repair my computer. I've typically just bought a new computer whenever it's needed.

I've actually got a custom built desktop that I need to get fixed. It has issues staying connected to the monitor.
Most common cause of that problem is the cable. Try replacing the cable.

Cam

The Chosen One
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
forumpromotion.net
Hubux
$868
Winbux
$81.00
I Am The Danger!
Most common cause of that problem is the cable. Try replacing the cable.

I’ve tried a couple different HDMI cables. Was going to try the other inputs, like the VGA or the DVI. I think it’s another issue, like maybe the graphics card going bad? I don’t know.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,483
Winbux
$0.00
I’ve tried a couple different HDMI cables. Was going to try the other inputs, like the VGA or the DVI. I think it’s another issue, like maybe the graphics card going bad? I don’t know.
Hook it up to your TV or another monitor before you get another graphics card. Also I would check other inputs to see if it’s the HDMI port that got damaged somehow.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
I bought a crappy computer and it always had problems. I used to pay 70 - 100 bucks to have my computer looked at a local computer repair store in town 16 years ago before they went out of business. Presently, most of the laptops I get from Wal-Mart don't have the issues that my first laptop had. I've had my most recent laptop since late 2020 and never had those problems to that extent.

Cam

The Chosen One
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
forumpromotion.net
Hubux
$868
Winbux
$81.00
I Am The Danger!
Hook it up to your TV or another monitor before you get another graphics card. Also I would check other inputs to see if it’s the HDMI port that got damaged somehow.

Yep, you were exactly right. The HDMI port isn't working, but the DisplayPort is working. Thanks for your help!

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
When I buy new computers, I usually buy them at best buy and I usually purchase their accidental damage GSP plan, which covers the cost of any repairs they may need to do and if they can't fix the issue they simply replace the laptop for me.

I find this way to be the best solution to be honest. Right now I don't have a laptop but I do have $2300 in store credit. I'm just waiting for more reviews to come out on the 2024 gaming laptops and for more manufactuers to get some new models for sale at best buy before pulling the trigger on one.