Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Sony buys Bungie

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced it will acquire Destiny developer Bungie for $3.6 Billion.

GamesIndustry.Biz reports that following the deal, Bungie will be run as "an independent subsidiary" of SIE, and will remain a multiplatform studio with the option to "self-publish and reach players where they choose to play."

Thoughts on this?

Uncrowned Guard

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
uncrownedempire.com
Hubux
$957
Winbux
$0.00
Bungie has been fairly direct that they will remain independent and multiplatform (granted multiplatform doesn't need to include Xbox) so I am fairly happy with the deal. For a studio that has "escaped" from under Microsoft and Activision, I'd assume that they know how to properly set up their deals and hopefully I can keep playing Destiny on PC.

Overall, Bungie does need funding for most of their work, and being fully independent doesn't seem to be enough for the studio to safely survive, so hopefully, this will work out well.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
They had to counter somehow to MS buying Activision-Blizzard. This isn't in same scale, but taking the maker of original Xbox's killer app has a nice sting to it.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
They had to counter somehow to MS buying Activision-Blizzard. This isn't in same scale, but taking the maker of original Xbox's killer app has a nice sting to it.

True, hopefully this can keep things even in the gaming world. Otherwise, the console wars really will become a thing.

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
Honestly, I don't think this particular acquisition was a counter to that move. Deals like this can take a long time to set up and finalise so they just wouldn't have had enough time. They did promise a few more purchases though so I would hope those are big enough to rival the Activision purchase by MS.

Uncrowned Guard

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Website
uncrownedempire.com
Hubux
$957
Winbux
$0.00
Honestly, I don't think this particular acquisition was a counter to that move. Deals like this can take a long time to set up and finalise so they just wouldn't have had enough time. They did promise a few more purchases though so I would hope those are big enough to rival the Activision purchase by MS.
I can't imagine them even remotely keeping up in a buying war. Microsoft is often holding more in petty cash than the entire of the Sony corporation is worth.