Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

What would you do?

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I've having trouble with recurring UTI's ever since my b-day last year (not that any of you want to know about all that). Well, sometimes I can make it till I get off work and just run by the doctor's office to get antibiotics and sometimes I've missed a day of work to go to the doctor's office and the pharmacy. A situation I'm not enjoying and didn't ask for to begin with.

Well, I've been noticing that my schedule has been quite jacked up recently. They've been giving me odd shifts where I have to close one night and then turn right back around and open the very next morning. That usually involves not getting much sleep when I already don't sleep well to begin with. The main manager at my job admitted to my face that this situation with my schedule is punishment for me calling in the last couple of times (which is due to me having the recurring UTI's I mentioned at the beginning). Now......keep in mind that when someone else calls in to say they're sick, the management doesn't jack up that person's schedule and punish them for missing work. So......the question I have is why are they picking on just me?

What would you do about this situation if you were in my shoes?

{Note: I'm already looking for a job, which some of you may or may not already know about. I put in two more applications this morning. *fingers crossed* I hope to hear back from someone soon because my job is hard enough as it is without not having to get enough sleep on top of that.}

Last edited:

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,062
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
Have you explained that you're having medical issues to the manager? Don't need to go into specifics, but if they know it's medical then surely they can't hold that against you? If they are, then yeah, definitely look for something new in the meantime and ask for normal shifts while you remain there.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
Have you explained that you're having medical issues to the manager? Don't need to go into specifics, but if they know it's medical then surely they can't hold that against you? If they are, then yeah, definitely look for something new in the meantime and ask for normal shifts while you remain there.

Oh, they know. I've been bringing them dr's notes every single time I miss. They should have a stack of dr's notes for all the shifts I've missed or even if I left work a little bit early. I wouldn't think an employer would be able to hold it against me but that place sure does. I asked about working normal shifts last Saturday and that's when the main manager told me that I was being punished for calling in. I'm definitely looking for something else. I've put in two different applications this morning. I'm going to see how they turn out.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,062
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
Yeah, it sounds like you desperately need to get away from that environment, ASAP. Fingers crossed you get one of the jobs!

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Ahh, the close to open shifts, a dick move by your manger and the bane of most retail workers.

Sorry to hear that is happening to you, best thing to do is find a different job that can be more able to work with your medical needs.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
Ahh, the close to open shifts, a dick move by your manger and the bane of most retail workers.

Sorry to hear that is happening to you, best thing to do is find a different job that can be more able to work with your medical needs.

This is what I'm currently working on. I put in two applications yesterday before I went to work and I put in another one after work (applied online using Indeed). Two of the jobs are Monday thru Friday. No nights or weekends and may be no holidays either. The third one I'd have to work the occasional Saturday but no nights and no holidays. Exact hours will more than likely be discussed if I can get in for an interview.

But yeah.....he expects his employees to act like adults when they come to work but he can get away with not acting like an adult when he's there.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
That sounds like that would go against some kind of policy. Are you able to talk to your HR department about this? I'm sure if you're to explain the situation and it's come to the point that you are actually considering going elsewhere to work will make them change things. It's a tough market out there for employers, people are realizing they have options and they should try harder to keep their employees happy.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
That sounds like that would go against some kind of policy. Are you able to talk to your HR department about this? I'm sure if you're to explain the situation and it's come to the point that you are actually considering going elsewhere to work will make them change things. It's a tough market out there for employers, people are realizing they have options and they should try harder to keep their employees happy.

I feel like this fits in with "targeting" and I could actually call OSHA about it. However, neither one of us can prove anything and it'll just be my word against his. That's why I haven't called anybody yet. I don't feel like anything will get done about it since it's just my word against his. So I figured I was better off leaving instead of wasting my time reporting the situation.

I was talking to the two assistant managers the other day. One is actually over my dept. and the other one is the one that actually makes the schedule out. They both denied that I'm being punished.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
I feel like this fits in with "targeting" and I could actually call OSHA about it. However, neither one of us can prove anything and it'll just be my word against his. That's why I haven't called anybody yet. I don't feel like anything will get done about it since it's just my word against his. So I figured I was better off leaving instead of wasting my time reporting the situation.

I was talking to the two assistant managers the other day. One is actually over my dept. and the other one is the one that actually makes the schedule out. They both denied that I'm being punished.

I don't blame you at all for looking for someplace else to work. Work/Home life balance is important and if you're superior doesn't allow you to prioritize that and help you look out for your well being they are not a very good leader. Complaining may be work but you could be helping someone else out going through the same situation.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
I don't blame you at all for looking for someplace else to work. Work/Home life balance is important and if you're superior doesn't allow you to prioritize that and help you look out for your well being they are not a very good leader. Complaining may be work but you could be helping someone else out going through the same situation.

Agreed. I applied to 3 different places on Monday. One is the library and the other two were dr.'s offices......all three are places that'll have better hours than my current job. If I get either of the dr.'s office jobs, I'll have no nights and no weekends (and probably no holidays at that). If I get the job at the library, I might have to work the occasional Saturday but for only a couple of hours in the morning. There will be no nights and the library isn't open on holidays either. All three jobs would have better hours than my current job and let me work while getting to spend more time with my hubby. I'm going to see how those work out but I'm still going to keep looking.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
Agreed. I applied to 3 different places on Monday. One is the library and the other two were dr.'s offices......all three are places that'll have better hours than my current job. If I get either of the dr.'s office jobs, I'll have no nights and no weekends (and probably no holidays at that). If I get the job at the library, I might have to work the occasional Saturday but for only a couple of hours in the morning. There will be no nights and the library isn't open on holidays either. All three jobs would have better hours than my current job and let me work while getting to spend more time with my hubby. I'm going to see how those work out but I'm still going to keep looking.

Good luck! Sounds like an upgrade however it turns out! Please keep us posted!

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
Good luck! Sounds like an upgrade however it turns out! Please keep us posted!

Thank you. I can tell one of the dr.'s office has viewed my application. I just have to see if I get an interview from someone and hopefully make a good enough impression that they'll want to hire me.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
None of these places that I'm applying for are calling me back. I'm beginning to think that none of these places are actually hiring. It's really, really frustrating. I'm only applying for jobs where I meet the qualifications. It's not like I'm going down to the local hospital and applying to be a heart surgeon (or any other job for which I'm not qualified for).

At my current work, I got a little bit nicer schedule this week and my husband thinks it's because I called them out on it. I don't want to get my hopes up in case they go back to jacking with my schedule again next week. I've felt like crap all week with my allergies acting up but I've been going to work despite the fact that I don't feel good because I'm afraid they'll "punish" me again for missing any work.