Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

When do you believe the number of electric vehicles will surpass that of combustion vehicles?

Shavkat

Hubber Wall of Fame
Emerald Member
Reaction score
Website
stevengeelikes.blogspot.com
Hubux
$0
Winbux
$2.00
Emerald Membership (1 Month)
I cannot foretell the exact period of time for this concern. In this manner, EVs will be popularly used around the globe. But they need to install a lot of charging infrastructure.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,417
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I don't know if electric is the answer to the world's problems, tbh. The US is expansive and to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere because of lack of charging stations or faulty ones is happening right now. It's not going to improve this decade really. The cost of battery replacement is out of most people's reach. Then what happens when we dump those???

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$772
Winbux
$0.00
I don't know if electric is the answer to the world's problems, tbh. The US is expansive and to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere because of lack of charging stations or faulty ones is happening right now. It's not going to improve this decade really. The cost of battery replacement is out of most people's reach. Then what happens when we dump those???
I honestly can't answer the question until Biden is out of office lol. Because if Trump gets in, Electric cars will just be optional and I suspect a lot of people would rather drive fuel cars instead due to the inconveniences that come with driving battery powered cars.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,417
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
I honestly can't answer the question until Biden is out of office lol. Because if Trump gets in, Electric cars will just be optional and I suspect a lot of people would rather drive fuel cars instead due to the inconveniences that come with driving battery powered cars.

Well, it SHOULD be optional at this point. Can you imagine the collapse of the nation if we were all forced to go electric right now? I live in the country and it takes 12 hours right now to get to see my dad when I travel. How long would it take by electric? I guarantee it will be much more than 12 hours, if I could even make it. There have been people doing experiments with long travel, who were previously all for EV, until they tried it and found out that it's just not ready.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$772
Winbux
$0.00
Well, it SHOULD be optional at this point. Can you imagine the collapse of the nation if we were all forced to go electric right now? I live in the country and it takes 12 hours right now to get to see my dad when I travel. How long would it take by electric? I guarantee it will be much more than 12 hours, if I could even make it. There have been people doing experiments with long travel, who were previously all for EV, until they tried it and found out that it's just not ready.
A guy I was talking to at the dealership where I work stated that if everyone were to switch over to electric right now, it would crash the electric grid and that the United States would be experiencing brown outs across the country. He stated that the Biden Administration hasn't even help prep power plants for that kind of output.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,483
Winbux
$0.00
A guy I was talking to at the dealership where I work stated that if everyone were to switch over to electric right now, it would crash the electric grid and that the United States would be experiencing brown outs across the country. He stated that the Biden Administration hasn't even help prep power plants for that kind of output.
I wish the EV situation wasn’t politically charged. That way there’d be less misinformation leading to what your guy is saying.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,417
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday

I read an article where some car dealers were interviewed and even they wouldn't make an EV their main car. One of them did a test and said that most of his trips were equal in cost for EV compared to gas. That was interesting to read.

PGen98

Crystal Clear
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,064
Winbux
$0.00
Mardi Gras 2024
EVs aren't the answer, I'm waiting for the hydrogen cars. Bring them on. Basically zero change from a petrol powered car to refuel and no 40 minute recharges.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,483
Winbux
$0.00
I read an article where some car dealers were interviewed and even they wouldn't make an EV their main car. One of them did a test and said that most of his trips were equal in cost for EV compared to gas. That was interesting to read.
That guy must be driving really far, or he lives in a place with a high electricity bill. My coworkers who have EV’s have the complete opposite story.

Grungie

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,483
Winbux
$0.00
It's from the east coast I believe. Where do your friends live?
Well, saying East Coast doesn’t narrow it down, because there’s like over 13 states there with widely varying rates for electricity.

We’re out in Texas, which is kind of mid for electricity rates. They said their electricity bill only went up like $50 something a month. Most people here spend high $20 on gas weekly so that’s a pretty noticeable drop.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,417
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
Well, saying East Coast doesn’t narrow it down, because there’s like over 13 states there with widely varying rates for electricity.

We’re out in Texas, which is kind of mid for electricity rates. They said their electricity bill only went up like $50 something a month. Most people here spend high $20 on gas weekly so that’s a pretty noticeable drop.

What about using the charging stations away from home? Don't they do that out there?

Cam

The Chosen One
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
forumpromotion.net
Hubux
$868
Winbux
$81.00
I Am The Danger!
What about when it's 0 degrees F out there? I heard it's less distance, if you can get it to start ;)

We don't typically see 0 degree weather, but we'll see freezing temperatures. My dad doesn't have issues with his EV starting, but he gets really annoyed with how slow the inside of the car warms up.