Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Would you read it?

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
Bill Gates... No, Kylie Rich
If you could read a book that tells you everything that will happen in your life would you read it? Why or why not?

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Nah, i don't wanna know what's coming next even though most of the times i do feel desperate and i don't know what to do..

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
There is a beautiful line written in the famous book "The Alchemist"

"If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise. If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur."

So, if the end is beautiful I would like to come it as a surprise to me.

And if the end is horrible, I would avert reading it, to avoid the pain that will be incurring long before the actual suffering.

Sharon

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,052
Winbux
$0.00
There is a beautiful line written in the famous book "The Alchemist"

"If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise. If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur."

So, if the end is beautiful I would like to come it as a surprise to me.

And if the end is horrible, I would avert reading it, to avoid the pain that will be incurring long before the actual suffering.

The Alchemist is one of my favorite books and re-read it occasionally. I don't remember that line but I shall look out for it next time I pick it up again.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
The Alchemist is one of my favorite books
Mine too and it full of great quotes. Do you recall this quote: “The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times"

altair

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$926
Winbux
$0.00
If you read everything in your life of what was to come it would take away the mystery of life. To me life is a journey through the worst and bad moments. However, you got to take it with stride one day at a time and come out better for it. The good moments you learn form and able to apply them in your life.
If you knew what was to happen you would not be able to do this because there would be no mystery.

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$779
Winbux
$0.00
If you could read a book that tells you everything that will happen in your life would you read it? Why or why not?
What you're suggesting is "Tomes of Prophecy and Fate"

By reading the book we would set out to create a paradox because we would try to avoid making the mistakes and certain toxic people it would mention. However in doing so we would be making our lives worse by creating new problems that could be worse or equivalent to being worse than another problem or mistake that we would have made. Often these books of fate take with one hand and give with the other. Sometimes there isn't a choice, not with one that comes with a heavy cost due to the long term consequences that it would infer.

Kylie

Wild Thing
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$12,569
Winbux
$512.00
RAINBOWWWW!
Catch That Pokémon
What you're suggesting is "Tomes of Prophecy and Fate"

By reading the book we would set out to create a paradox because we would try to avoid making the mistakes and certain toxic people it would mention. However in doing so we would be making our lives worse by creating new problems that could be worse or equivalent to being worse than another problem or mistake that we would have made. Often these books of fate take with one hand and give with the other. Sometimes there isn't a choice, not with one that comes with a heavy cost due to the long term consequences that it would infer.
Would you read it? Why or why not?

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$779
Winbux
$0.00
Would you read it? Why or why not?

Often when you deal with books of fate or time travel. You're trading one set of problems in for another. Really thinking about it someone could screw up their life a lot more than before they decided to use a book or go back in time to change what they broke or by avoiding a series of life changing events. We see it happen in movies and books all of the time. Is this a mistake we really want to repeat? I'd have to say no. I think I'm better off using what little foresight and common sense that I have. A good example of this is talked about in "The Matrix Reloaded" when Neo talks to the Oracle about understanding and seeing past a choice we made.

Cherry123

Really likes it here <3
Reaction score
Hubux
$0
Winbux
$0.00
Yeah why not this will be very exciting for me. I don't think there's someone that would not want to know what would happen tomorrow

MYC

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$1
Winbux
$0.00
No, I don't really want to know what will happen to me in the future. I live in the moment.

Ginger

Pays Room & Board
Reaction score
Hubux
$0
Winbux
$0.00
I may say yes but this will spoil the fun so I may think of not reading it and let the God decide