Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Defunding the Police

Jayson

Making a name for themselves
Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
Should they be defunded? Why do people dislike cops enough to defund them? What about public safety? How does this relate in your thinking to all the police abuse covered by the media?

MrDawn

Whistle in the Dark
Reaction score
Hubux
$773
Winbux
$0.00
To answer honestly. That was a bad suggestion from the get go and along with civil unrest, everyone flocked to gun and ammo stores causing wide spread shortages. Because defunding the police invites anarchy and crime. And speaking of crime. If there are no police than civilized people take extra precautions for future conflict.

Security experts view that the action would create more problems than solve the current ones. The level of exposure to crime and general insecurity would be overwhelming, resulting in a security crisis that did not exist.

The "defund the police" idea invalidated the "guns are bad" argument in every way imaginable. Because if criminals have guns wanting to antagonize innocent people than here's the best answer to that argument, innocent people need guns to protect themselves. No one wants people breaking into their home to loot or to cause them bodily harm during a civil unrest movement where they live.

In other words, no police to protect the innocent or uphold the law equals law abiding citizens to go out and buy 1 or more guns with all of the ammo they want to take care of that particular law breaker (looter, murderer, sex trafficker) when and if they ever break into their house to hurt them and their families. That justifies it.

Widespread civil unrest swept the nation by summer, with intensity the likes of which we haven’t seen since the 1960s. Buildings burned, stores were looted, and reports of violence and rising crime rates made national headlines. All the while, some called to defund local and regional law enforcement agencies, and several municipalities followed through. Fear of the virus, fear of food shortages, and fear of riots — real or imagined — gripped many American hearts and minds. Guns and the ammo to feed them flew off the shelves in record numbers — and continue to do so — many going to people making their very first firearms purchase. When talking to these first-time customers from behind the counter where I work, I can’t tell you how many times the conversation starts with: “I never thought I would buy a gun.”

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
I feel like it's one of those phrases that just doesn't work because you're focusing on one aspect that scares a lot of people. People say defund the police and even I would automatically think about a police force that barely has funds to work properly and do their job.

There needs to be a bigger focus on prevention but I'm not sure taking money from the police force for that is the answer.

Demon_skeith

Guru of Hubbers
Reaction score
Website
gaminglatest.com
Hubux
$3,809
Winbux
$0.30
Can't speak on it since I'm not positive on all their funds go to, but instead of defund the police how about get some control and common sense instead managing the police?

Nomad

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,245
Winbux
$0.00
I don't think police should be defunded, but I believe the military should be defended. Police maintain law and order in the country, militaries raise war. Look at what Russia has done to Ukraine. Russia would have never done that if it did not have a big army or arsenal.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
Can't speak on it since I'm not positive on all their funds go to, but instead of defund the police how about get some control and common sense instead managing the police?

Too many people want to point the finger at someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

Besides, we wouldn't have to have the police in the first place if everyone would behave themselves. The police are just there to deal with the people that don't want to obey the laws. If you stay on the right sight of the law, your chances of running into the police are slim to none.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Too many people want to point the finger at someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

Besides, we wouldn't have to have the police in the first place if everyone would behave themselves. The police are just there to deal with the people that don't want to obey the laws. If you stay on the right sight of the law, your chances of running into the police are slim to none.
QFT.

Police are meant to be a visual deterrent most of the time. By being visual and knowing they're about, the logic is that people will be less inclined to commit crimes. That shit flew out the window when you have states and district attorneys saying anything <$900 is nothing and you won't be prosecuted and if you are, you're thrown back out on the street a day later with a slap on the wrist and a don't do that again.

There's countless videos of people walking into stores with trash bags, trash bags, that they then proceed to fill with merchandise and walk back out and the store employees and managers are helpless to do anything about it because of corporate policy.

Do police need to rethink strategies? Maybe. Could do with more efforts for community style policing. Hire from the local communities, have them out and about, engaging the community itself, develop relationships with them. Make people understand that they're one of them and also there to help.

Instead, you have big cities literally taking away funding and showing they don't have their officers backs and expect them to go into high-crime areas of said cities with no help. No surprise that a lot of officers are quitting in droves and fleeing to other cities. What is created by this vacuum? A drastic rise in crime. Chicago has become even more of a war zone than it already was.

JennyorAlice

Full Time Hubber
Reaction score
Hubux
$1,263
Winbux
$0.00
QFT.

Police are meant to be a visual deterrent most of the time. By being visual and knowing they're about, the logic is that people will be less inclined to commit crimes. That shit flew out the window when you have states and district attorneys saying anything <$900 is nothing and you won't be prosecuted and if you are, you're thrown back out on the street a day later with a slap on the wrist and a don't do that again.

There's countless videos of people walking into stores with trash bags, trash bags, that they then proceed to fill with merchandise and walk back out and the store employees and managers are helpless to do anything about it because of corporate policy.

Do police need to rethink strategies? Maybe. Could do with more efforts for community style policing. Hire from the local communities, have them out and about, engaging the community itself, develop relationships with them. Make people understand that they're one of them and also there to help.

Instead, you have big cities literally taking away funding and showing they don't have their officers backs and expect them to go into high-crime areas of said cities with no help. No surprise that a lot of officers are quitting in droves and fleeing to other cities. What is created by this vacuum? A drastic rise in crime. Chicago has become even more of a war zone than it already was.

The town I grew up in, a year or two ago they went in and put a school resource officer at each and every school in the district. That way, the kids in the schools are protected while at the same time the officers at the schools may have more of a chance having a positive interaction with kids before they have a chance of getting into crime.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
A lot of crime can be stopped at home. Prevent a lot of the kids in intercity schools from being exposed to the criminal underbelly and gangs of said cities.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Defunding the police takes away what power they have. Most jurisdictions get away with so much because they have that kind of overreach. As it stands, police are doing things they never should have been expected to do. The task force coming to my house to investigate stolen decorations should not be the same one dealing with a hostage crisis. Being the absolute authority on basic law while also packing enough heat to conquer a small territory leaves way too much room for error and a significant amount of room for corruption on a small scale. In my personal belief, the more you pay someone with power the more likely they are to abuse their position.

Jayson

Reaction score
Hubux
$15
Winbux
$0.00
Defunding the cops isn't the same as defunding fast food where you'd get longer waits and unjustifiably angry customers.

Mocha

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$6,262
Winbux
$0.00
I don't think police should be defunded, but I think police all over the world need to be held accountable more. There's simply too many instances of police officers getting away with crimes that go unpunished. The US seems to have it worse but other countries have plenty of issues too.

Dfarmer2001

Reaction score
Website
postingbay.com
Hubux
$1,332
Winbux
$0.00
Pull The Pin and Chuck It
Defunding the police is saying that you don't care what happens, and you're rooting for uncivilization in my opinion. If you defund the police, crime rates will go up, people will die, and it will turn into total chaos. If you've noticed in the news and media coverages, the states wanting to defund the police were the states that were having all the riots.

Lämmchen

She walks with grace
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
christianityhaven.com
Hubux
$1,417
Winbux
$0.00
Birthday
Defunding the police is saying that you don't care what happens, and you're rooting for uncivilization in my opinion. If you defund the police, crime rates will go up, people will die, and it will turn into total chaos. If you've noticed in the news and media coverages, the states wanting to defund the police were the states that were having all the riots.

We see the cities that wanted to defund the police are going through some brutal times. Now they regret now respecting those police officers!