Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Is 32gb of RAM worth having?

Gazza

A new face
Reaction score
Hubux
$46
Winbux
$0.00
I currently have 16gb of RAM in my computer but it gets a bit laggy. Someone said to me to add 16gb more and it would improve. Has anyone any experience of 32gb machines and do they run so much better and faster than a 16gb machine?

Thanks in advance.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
I currently have 16gb of RAM in my computer but it gets a bit laggy. Someone said to me to add 16gb more and it would improve. Has anyone any experience of 32gb machines and do they run so much better and faster than a 16gb machine?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have an SSD or SATA hard drive? I upgraded my hard drive to an SSD and found things sped up incredibly while maintaining 16gb of RAM.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
Depends what games you play and how much things that you are doing at once, like streaming and playing games can use almost 8GB.

For me when it comes to doing flight sims you need 64gb as it takes allot.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
Depends what games you play and how much things that you are doing at once, like streaming and playing games can use almost 8GB.

For me when it comes to doing flight sims you need 64gb as it takes allot.
How many ram slots do you have on that board?!

Zakalwe

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$94
Winbux
$0.00
For gaming you don’t need more than 16gb. Only go bigger if you’re looking at video editing or other hungry processes.

Empire

Kicking
Reaction score
Website
www.baysidegamers.com
Hubux
$7,963
Winbux
$201.00
It's A Me, Mario!
For gaming you don’t need more than 16gb. Only go bigger if you’re looking at video editing or other hungry processes.
Or flight simmers LOL I use P3d V5 and time you have other programs open and have this and that, It adds up. Even streaming at the same time. I use 80% of my 16GB

Zakalwe

Found the couch and snacks
Reaction score
Hubux
$94
Winbux
$0.00
Yes ok, flight sims. But anything else, purely gaming, is handled comfortably with 16gb.

Laifot

In The Veils Of Negative Existence
Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Emerald Membership (1 Year)
Rebel
Before writing something, what is your CPU and MOBO? It also depends on the Frequency your RAM works. You could have 128 GB of RAM but if they work at 1866 still some DDR4-3000 Freq is faster with only 16 GB.

If you use AMD, you can OC to get 25% more perfo with Ryzen Master Software.

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
with the right configuration, yes it is. My old laptop had 32GB of ram in it, but it was only DDR3XL ram, while the extra speed boost over my previous laptop before it was significant when running multiple applications, i find the laptop I have now doesn't feel allthat much slower, but i definitely would go for 32GB if you're on a desktop and have plans of doing some heavy gaming, 32GB willc ome in handy for more intensive games, especially if you want to game and stream from the same machine, you'll need that 32GB of ram.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
with the right configuration, yes it is. My old laptop had 32GB of ram in it, but it was only DDR3XL ram, while the extra speed boost over my previous laptop before it was significant when running multiple applications, i find the laptop I have now doesn't feel allthat much slower, but i definitely would go for 32GB if you're on a desktop and have plans of doing some heavy gaming, 32GB willc ome in handy for more intensive games, especially if you want to game and stream from the same machine, you'll need that 32GB of ram.

Most games actually don't need this. As i said before your Proccessor should be good and also your GPU. For heavy gaming you'll need Ray Tracing dedicated cores.. and PRETTY few games are in need of these.

Smokey

Twitch Streamer - Revillution.net Owner.
Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
Hubux
$1,019
Winbux
$0.00
Well yeah, but as I stated, if you're looking to both game & stream on the same machine like play something like say Dead by Daylight on PC and stream it on the same machine, yes CPU and GPU are the most important, but that extra overhead for ram can help a lot too.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
Well yeah, but as I stated, if you're looking to both game & stream on the same machine like play something like say Dead by Daylight on PC and stream it on the same machine, yes CPU and GPU are the most important, but that extra overhead for ram can help a lot too.

Even your monitor is partially guilty of the malfunction. You'll need a good peripheral cfg to follow your rig.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
I have only 4GB RAM but in combination with i5-6200 processor and Samsung SSD drive it works great. I had AutoCad, Gimp, InDesign and everything worked fine without anylag. I think 8GB would be maximum I need it.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I have only 4GB RAM but in combination with i5-6200 processor and Samsung SSD drive it works great. I had AutoCad, Gimp, InDesign and everything worked fine without anylag. I think 8GB would be maximum I need it.

Can you provide more information about this? it's interesting. I never used that kind of software.

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
I recently upgraded to 32GB. I already had an SSD, but I just like having the extra RAM for down the road. :)

I will upgrade it to 32 GB when the new Ryzen 4000 hit the scene :)

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
Can you provide more information about this? it's interesting. I never used that kind of software

Tablet with dockable keyboard: Lenovo Yoga 260
Processor frequency: 2.30GHz SkyLake
Autocad software for 2D and 3D desing, drawing construction plans
Gimp: open source free alternative to Photoshop
InDesgin: software for book, newslater, inivitations graphic desing, prepare for printing
lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-260--nw-g02.jpg

Laifot

Pink Power
Reaction score
Hubux
$441
Winbux
$3.50
Rebel
Tablet with dockable keyboard: Lenovo Yoga 260
Processor frequency: 2.30GHz SkyLake
Autocad software for 2D and 3D desing, drawing construction plans
Gimp: open source free alternative to Photoshop
InDesgin: software for book, newslater, inivitations graphic desing, prepare for printing
lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-260--nw-g02.jpg

Nice and good to know. I was gonna build something for my gf that could handle those programs just fine and now i have an idea of what i should include. Desktop proccessors are more powerful so something 30% better should do the job.