Welcome to Discussion Hub

Discussion Hub is a general discussion hub helping you get a little blast from the past. Enjoy coloured usernames, special userbars and a tight-knit community.

Will you be going back to theaters soon?

Will you go to see movies in theaters when they re-open?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • What's the point, theaters are dying anyway. Long live streaming!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Movies? Who watches those.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
COVID-19 has caused a lot of changes in the way we do things ranging from how we interact with friends and family to how we purchase our food or eat at restaurants. Movie theater chains are one of the last remaining things set to re-open, with AMC claiming July as the date all their theaters will re-open to the public.

This begs the question: will you go back? Some people I've spoken with say that they are fine with paying $20 to rent the direct-to-streaming route that some of the major companies have taken, which works for a family of say 5 where it equates to roughly $4 per person, not including the savings on food and drinks. From an individual or couple, date?, standpoint it seems less certain.

Feel free to share your thoughts/opinions, as well as if you're hovering on the fence between yes and no, what would encourage you to go back?

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
No as I don't go to the cinema unless I have free tickets.

Plus even if I did go regularly I certainly wouldn't go during a pandemic.

Kik

Making themselves at home
Reaction score
Hubux
$896
Winbux
$0.00
No as I don't go to the cinema unless I have free tickets.

Plus even if I did go regularly I certainly wouldn't go during a pandemic.
My thoughts exactly.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
@Chel What about when the pandemic dies down, would you? There's several subscription style platforms for many of the major chains now that allow you to see several movies for a fixed rate per month. I was paying $20 approximately a month to see 3 movies every week, roughly 9 a month. While not everyone will go to the same extremes as I did to maximize the cost.

Let's run some numbers, shall we?

Average US cost of a ticket for a matinee showing = $9-11 x number of tickets x number of movies

Mine was a little higher at my theater so I'll use $11x3x3= appx $99

So I'm seeing $99 worth of films a month for only $20. I considered that a fair trade off and I would buy a drink usually to help offset the cost since most of their profits are made on concession sales.

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
@Chel What about when the pandemic dies down, would you? There's several subscription style platforms for many of the major chains now that allow you to see several movies for a fixed rate per month. I was paying $20 approximately a month to see 3 movies every week, roughly 9 a month. While not everyone will go to the same extremes as I did to maximize the cost.

Let's run some numbers, shall we?

Average US cost of a ticket for a matinee showing = $9-11 x number of tickets x number of movies

Mine was a little higher at my theater so I'll use $11x3x3= appx $99

So I'm seeing $99 worth of films a month for only $20. I considered that a fair trade off and I would buy a drink usually to help offset the cost since most of their profits are made on concession sales.

I'm from the UK and cinema tickets are really expensive here.

Plus I have nobody to go with, nor can I drive so couldn't get to it even if I wanted to.

I just wait till a movie is out in other forms if I want to see it. I. E. Streaming services like disney+, netflix etc.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
I'm from the UK and cinema tickets are really expensive here.

Plus I have nobody to go with, nor can I drive so couldn't get to it even if I wanted to.

I just wait till a movie is out in other forms if I want to see it. I. E. Streaming services like disney+, netflix etc.
Makes sense, I didn't realize you were in the UK, my apologies. What's the average cost of films over there? Do you have issues with films being censored in any way from their original version in the States?

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
Makes sense, I didn't realize you were in the UK, my apologies. What's the average cost of films over there? Do you have issues with films being censored in any way from their original version in the States?

I haven't been to the movies for a long time but iirc they are anywhere from £10+ (12.6 dollars+) . Just checked and yes around £10+. Slightly cheaper for students/OAPs/children.

Censoring anything is wrong imo.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Yes, I don't disagree. I've heard they do it in Australia though.

Roughly $11 in translation so about the same as the cost here. Do you have the ability to go earlier in the day when tickets are discounted or cheaper?

Chel

Knows their way around
Reaction score
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Hubux
$2,141
Winbux
$0.00
Yes, I don't disagree. I've heard they do it in Australia though.

Roughly $11 in translation so about the same as the cost here. Do you have the ability to go earlier in the day when tickets are discounted or cheaper?

Nope, as too tired in mornings. And as I say; can't get there anyway.

Phenom

Certified Mediaphile
The Sextronauts
Reaction score
Website
filmlovers.club
Hubux
$2,969
Winbux
$1.50
Discord
thetrueheroofmyth
Gotcha! I wasn't sure if they did something similar over there like they do here.

I'm lenient on returning to the theaters myself unless they can show without a doubt that they are doing a diligent job of wiping down and sterilizing the surfaces. I'd be curious how they'd alter showings to make up for the loss of profits with having to reduce the ticket sales to enforce the six feet social distancing requirements.

Jisemendez

Josemendez
Reaction score
Hubux
$96
Winbux
$0.00
COVID-19 has caused a lot of changes in the way we do things ranging from how we interact with friends and family to how we purchase our food or eat at restaurants. Movie theater chains are one of the last remaining things set to re-open, with AMC claiming July as the date all their theaters will re-open to the public.

This begs the question: will you go back? Some people I've spoken with say that they are fine with paying $20 to rent the direct-to-streaming route that some of the major companies have taken, which works for a family of say 5 where it equates to roughly $4 per person, not including the savings on food and drinks. From an individual or couple, date?, standpoint it seems less certain.

Feel free to share your thoughts/opinions, as well as if you're hovering on the fence between yes and no, what would encourage you to go back?
No I won't be going back to theatre anytime soon . I don't see any reason for the rush .
I do stick to streaming movies online or downloading it for offline use .
The joy that I may derive from the theatre does not worth the exposure .

Ash

Founder & Former Owner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$3,875
Winbux
$0.00
Wake Up To Reality!
FSociety
It will be a long time before I go back to the cinema. There is no rush at the moment because of all the COVID stuff and I'm going to guess that prices are going to be rising very soon since they've been closed for so long now.

Jisemendez

Josemendez
Reaction score
Hubux
$96
Winbux
$0.00
It will be a long time before I go back to the cinema. There is no rush at the moment because of all the COVID stuff and I'm going to guess that prices are going to be rising very soon since they've been closed for so long now.
Yea ,also for the fact that they have been tasked with the job of maintaining social distancing , a room that should contain 50 people will now be reduce to 30 , thus they have to increase the price of the tickets .

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
Of course, I will. Watching the content in the theatre is a completely different atmosphere to watching a film in the comfort of your own home. It's more enhanced. We all know movies are released in Cinemas before they are published on the likes of Netflix, too.

22_22

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$102
Winbux
$0.00
Cinemas are far too overpriced. I only ever go when there is a deal on. I think they are open in Sweden but I would not go near them right now. They seem way too hard to clean and the seats are very close together. It is a no from me.

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
Cinemas are far too overpriced. I only ever go when there is a deal on. I think they are open in Sweden but I would not go near them right now. They seem way too hard to clean and the seats are very close together. It is a no from me.

There's no doubt about it. I have the Cineworld Unlimited Pass which costs me £18.40 a month. This allows me to watch all movies without having to worry about the finance barrier.

reptile6

Must like it here...
Reaction score
Hubux
$261
Winbux
$0.00
I would like go into theather, eat popcorns and drink coca cola, but they are closed. They have problems with lack of new movies. Nothing news is coming or attractive enough. When Hollywood start working again, they will be open again.

22_22

Finding their groove
Reaction score
Hubux
$102
Winbux
$0.00
There's no doubt about it. I have the Cineworld Unlimited Pass which costs me £18.40 a month. This allows me to watch all movies without having to worry about the finance barrier.

That is a good offer. I was thinking of purchasing that pass one summer but decided against it. I guess you only have to watch two or three movies a month to get your money back. :)

Bizdustry.com

Planning to move in?
Reaction score
Hubux
$758
Winbux
$0.00
That is a good offer. I was thinking of purchasing that pass one summer but decided against it. I guess you only have to watch two or three movies a month to get your money back. :)

Yes, however, it's finding the time to watch them. Ideally, it's best if a family or friend goes with you to the Cinema to enhance the experience. Going by yourself just isn't the same.

Hungry Ego

Community Partner
Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hubux
$2,225
Winbux
$0.00
Movie Theatres are officially allowed to reopen as of today to the public. They are allowing 50 people per theatre (normally seat 150ish or more people). They must stagger start and end times better than they did pre-covid to limit the interactions between attendees.

I did mark myself as returning to theatres soon in the poll, however I do intend to let them be open for about 304 weeks before I consider going. I'd rather let the die-hard fans get their fill in before I throw myself into the mix.